Wednesday, March 28, 2007

One is Silver, the other Gold

I have been contemplating a lot lately on the importance of friends. Not just acquaintances but good, close, faithful, trustable *friends*. In my 26+ years on earth, I have been blessed with a good number of close friendships, in many different stages of life. While some of these friendships have not lasted "the test of time" (mostly because of a change in distance), at their appropriated time, these friends were all like silver and gold to me. Over the next week or so (I added the "or so" because I'll be away tomorrow through Tuesday and don't know how much blogging time there will be), I want to revisit some of these stages of life and friendships that made those times great.

Today, I'll start with my most current best friend - my husband. Jeremiah Xavier Gomez (don't bother following the link - he doesn't blog anyway!!) was not always my best friend. In fact, it wasn't until after 3 years of college together that we had any kind of friendship *on our own*. (Before that it was mostly because our friends were friends that we spent any time whatsoever together.) And in fact, it wasn't until 16 months after graduation that we even started dating. And in fact, if we're being honest, while we were dating, there were approximately 2.5 months where I couldn't stand the boy (no worries.. he knows, he was there!!)

But we took on the horrors of a long distance relationship and we won! After a heart wrenching breakup, we got back together, and from that moment on, neither one of us looked back. From that moment on, I knew this was the man I would love forever, the man I, if he would have me, I would spend the rest of my life with.

Six months (next Saturday) have passed since I walked down the aisle and said "By the grace of God, I will." Six months have passed where we've been able to wake up and see each other face to face. Six months have passed and we still love to hug and kiss and, heaven forbid, slap each other in the butt whenever we get the chance.

Jeremiah will forever be my best friend. I thank God for him every chance I get.


Thank you, Jesus, for giving us friends.

3 comments:

  1. that's a nice posting idea Sarah. Friends are rad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was happy. yeah for friends. and the slapping butts thing made me smile and giggle out loud a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous. I haven't slapped your butt in so long :(

    ReplyDelete