Thursday, April 10, 2008

If all works out properly this time

I've found a new game.  It's called "shopping at CVS."  It's a great game. The goal of the game is to use coupons and see how cheap (or how free) you can get stuff. 
 
Last night, I "played' and the first step went very well. I bought 5 boxes of Excedrin and paid ---- $0!!!!  Yup!  They were on sale for $1.99 and I had $2.00 off coupons!! So I got my limit (5 per household)  Best part, they have certain sales that give you "cash" on a card that can only be used at CVS.  So  these 5 boxes of Excedrin that I bought for free put $5 on my Extra rewards card :) 
 
Step 2 fell apart because the item that I wanted to buy was not in stock in either CVS store here.  So I went home determined to figure it out again.  And I believe I have.  If any "CVS-ers" are reading this, PLEASE give me feedback if you see something that is not working or if you know of a coupon to make it even better!!!
 
 
Step #1:
Buy
2 Tru Blend Foundation 9.49 each
Filler of some sort (hopefully going to find a filler with a coupon) - at least 1.02.  Basing my scenario on $1.50
 
Total purchase:  $20.48
Use: $4/$20 coupon                                                 -$4.00
        Cover Girl Buy One Get One Free coupon          -$9.49
        $1 coupon                                                       -$1.00
        $5 Extra Care Bucks that I earned from Excedrin. -$5.00
New Total: $0.99!!! out of pocket  (less if a good filler is found)
 
Get $6 ECB for each tru blend foundation (april deal)  = $12 ECB
 
 
Step #2 (new transaction):
Buy:
3 Sunsilk Shampoo/styling aid 3.49 each
2 Dove Shampoo @ 3.99 each
filler (hopefully filler with a coupon) - at least $1.45 - Basing my scenario on $1.50
 
Total purchase:
$20.05
Use: $4/$20 coupon                                                      -$4.00
        Buy One Get One Free on sunsilk coupon              -$3.49
        $1.50 sunsilk coupon                                            -$1.50
        $3/2 dove coupon                                                  -$3.00
        Use one $6 ECB coupon                                       -$6.00
New Total:
$2.06!!!!!!  out of pocket (less if find a good filler with coupon)
Plus, get $5 for spending $15 on Sunsilk/Dove
 
that leaves me with $11 ECB in my pocket plus only spending $3.05 for everything you see above. 
 
Anyone else want to play???
 
Special thanks to the numerous websites that have helped me figure out how to make this work!!  I'll give some props to them in a future blog entry!  You don't even know who you are, but you've been a HUGE help to our budget!!!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. hehehe - when I went in and got the Excedrin, it did kinda feel like I was stealing them when I walked out without ever having given her cash or a card... alas, that's the fun of the game --- completely legal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what store is this? is it in canada? does this only work with this place? so confused!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah -- pretty sure it is only in the States. I had never been to one before. Actually not until I went to Arizona, but there are tons of them in PA. You have to be willing to work the sales, and use LOTS of coupons -- but hey, if I can save on our budget AND have a surplus that I can give away, why not??? I needed shampoo and got all of this for less than the price of one bottle!!!

    ReplyDelete