Thursday, May 4, 2006

"Potato, Potahto"

My mom is away this week so preparing the evening meals has fallen to me. My dad is the "meat and potatoes " type, so we started off the week with Glazed pork chops and mashed potatoes. Pork chops - great. Potatoes - ew!

So I've come to a conclusion. I can make roasted potatoes, potato bites, fried potatoes, French fries, scalloped potatoes, Jo-Jo potatoes, potato wedges... but ask me to make a simple bowl of mashed potatoes and I'm at a loss! Over cooked, cooked too fast, cooked too slow, peeled too early, soaked too long -- i have no idea! But what I do know is that for the rest of the week, I plan on avoiding straight mashed potatoes.

I never liked the things anyway :)

4 comments:

  1. Kind of unrelated, I know--but the video you have up is quite possibly the cutest one I've EVER seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i may be fixated on my name in an overly ego-centric kind of way, but what the heck are "jo jo" potatos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha - Jo-Jo Potatoes are one of my favourites!! You cut up 5 or 6 potatoes and place them in some form of square or rectangular baking dish. I use my Pampered Chef square stone cause everything is better in a stone.

    In another bowl, you mix a pack of onion soup mix, tsp each of pepper, basil, and oregano. and 1/3 cup of vegetable oil. Spread that over the potatoes, tossing a bit to coat. Bake at about 350-400 (i can't find the actual temperature) for 40-45 min. Sprinkle with cheese and put back in until melted.

    AND ENJOY!! They are SOOOO good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on the video jer :) That's what came of lunch on Wednesday. Like I said below - they're good kids.

    ReplyDelete