Friday, December 28, 2007

Babies and Broken Tradition

As mentioned in passing 2 posts ago, not one, but TWO of my sisters are pregnant and will have babies this coming summer!! How exciting! For Jaymie, this will be her first and she couldn't be more excited. And, ha!, for Gina, this is her second and she couldn't be more excited :)

As for broken tradition, my family has always made it a point to have one birthday each month. Ok, so we haven't "made it a point" but that's the way it's always been. Growing up, with a family of 6, we had two months of birthdays and two months without patterned throughout the year. It looked like this:

Jan - sister Gina
Feb - mom Lorraine
Mar - no one
Apr - no one
May - sister Krista
June - dad Thurland
July - no one
August - no one
September - sister Jaymie
October - me!
November - no one
December - no one

Since then, there have been 4 children had by my sisters, and keeping with tradition, they birthed them to fill the empty months. It now looks like:

Jan - sister Gina
Feb - mom Lorraine
Mar - Isaac (Krista's 2nd)
Apr - Naima (Gina's 1st)
May - sister Krista
June - dad Thurland
July - Emily (Krista's 1st)
August - Jake (Krista's 3rd)
September - sister Jaymie
October - me!
November - no one
December - no one

Since I was the next married and the next expected to have kids I was told I "had" to have them in November or December to keep with tradition. (My family doesn't like to share, apparently!!!).

But now Gina is due in July and Jaymie is due in August, sufficiently breaking tradition and allowing me to have my kids whenever I darn well please. I'll keep you posted :) (Don't come checking anytime soon though!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment