Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Aaaannnnndddd - BACK to Portland we go...............


A HUGE GRRRRRRRRR POST TODAY.


Ok, so as mentioned, my immigration interview was yesterday. It went really well. They approved me as a "Conditional Resident", different from a permanent resident only because Jeremiah and I have not been married long enough (2 years). The only difference is in 2 years, I have to file an I-751 to have the conditions of my residency lifted.. (costing me another $200 of course...) That's ok -- we're happy with that, makes sense with the way SOOO many marriages go these days. I don't blame them -- even if we do have angelic faces.

So I come home, happy, knowing that for sure I can go to my sisters wedding. The advanced parole papers came last week, but now I don't even need THEM because I've been officially approved!

Or so I thought.......

I came back and emailed Mr Eiss, my lawyer, as he asked me to, just to let him know how the interview went. His response, "Did they stamp your passport with a temporary I-551 stamp?".... Ummmmmmmm, no....... were they supposed to??? His response to that, "Just go back to the office and get them to stamp it before you make your trip across the border." All well and dandy if the office wasn't FOUR HOURS SOUTH of here when our trip is SIX OR SEVEN HOURS NORTHEAST!!!!!

So tomorrow, instead of getting up and leisurely showering, etc and leaving by around 10 and getting to my sisters around supper time, we get to wake up at 5:00, shower, drive 4 hours south to Portland, get a stinkin' stamp in my passport, turn around, drive 2 hours north along the same highway we just came down (if you do the math, we should be to my sisters already by this amount of driving), then drive another 7-8 hours, getting to my sisters house (IF the stop getting the stamp is quick) exhausted and ready for bed......

Oh well - when you consider that the US government originally told us not to bother planning a wedding before this coming fall because I wouldn't be able to get in before that, I guess an extra trip to Portland isn't the end of the world...

4 comments:

  1. Wow... It sounds like a lot of work... Canada has been pretty easy on Chris... Glad things are working out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it has been a very easy process. From the day our paperwork was submitted to the day it was done (had it not been for this extra trip_ it has only been 85 days.

    I cannot complain about the process. I have had nothing to complain about. I will simply put in a little bit of whining about how long tomorrow is going to be. Then I'll be done with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, that'd be pretty annoying. kinda like on my vacation when henderson and i missed the digby ferry by 15 minutes and had to drive all the way around :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah,

    the process for you sounds much simpler than it is for Nate here...it seems like here we are just in this HUGE waiting game...Im glad you were able to go to the wedding!

    Ive been thinking of you lateley...Im sorry I havent been commenting on your blog... or emailing...I only have Internet at work... anyway, we should have a phone date sometime.

    love ya both
    Jess

    ReplyDelete